Police Beat for Nov. 1

Oct. 23

10 p.m. – Possession of a screwdriver

University of Maine Police Department (UMPD) made contact with Joseph Schrader, a first-year student, in the hallway of Gannett during routine rounds. Officers asked Schrader about a flask that was visible in a mesh section of his bag. Nobly, Schrader admitted to the flask containing vodka and orange juice. Officers then found unopened cans of Natural Ice beer in his backpack. Schrader was summonsed and referred to Judicial Affairs (JA) for possession of alcohol by a minor.

Oct. 24

2:54 p.m. – I am for real

After responding to a lockout, UMPD officers detected an odor of marijuana from a room in York Hall. After knocking on the door, officers made contact with Jackson Hey, a first-year student. Hey submitted two bags of marijuana and a grinder. Hey was summonsed and referred to JA for possession of drug paraphernalia.

Oct. 25

2:29 a.m. – Rumbling, bumbling, stumbling

UMPD responded to an Resident Assistant (RA) report of an intoxicated male “stumbling around in the bathroom” in Knox Hall. Officers made contact with the individual, who was identified as Colin Normand, a first-year student. Officers said Normand was “very drunk” and they smelled a strong odor of liquor. University Volunteer Ambulance Corps evaluated Normand, but did not transport him to the hospital. He was summonsed and referred to JA for possession of alcohol by a minor by consumption.

Oct. 26

7:50 p.m. – Pickpockets plunged by phone passcode

UMPD responded to a complaint of a stolen cell phone from an unlocked locker at the New Balance Student Recreation Center. The phone was found using an application that tracks the phone, leading to a residence in Old Town.

“The suspects have been identified, and charges are pending,” Detective Keith Mercier said. “I hope to have this done by today or tomorrow.”

Oct. 27

9:11 a.m. – Parking peril

Parking Services reported a subject driving erratically on Long Road. UMPD ran the plate number, and contacted the subject, ordering him to be more careful. The subject called UMPD back to apologize, citing that he was mad because someone took “his parking spot.”

6:49 p.m. – Changing your story

While doing regular rounds, a UMPD officer caught an odor of marijuana emitting from a room in Cumberland Hall. The officer knocked on the door, no one answered, but the officer reported hearing shuffling in the room. On the second knock, the subject in the room said they needed more time “because they were changing.” Bryan Marrero, a first-year student, answered on the third knock. Marrero initially denied using marijuana, but then relinquished a small amount of weed from his pocket. Marrero was summonsed for possession of marijuana, and, along with two others in the room, referred to JA.

Be Sociable, Share!
,